Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Matrix Assignment Final Version


Theme: Romance/Mystery
Genre: Short Story


Summary: Adelaide realizes her boyfriend, Aidan, appears different tonight, more mysterious. So she decides to figure out why Aidan's behavior is like this...by going deep in his past, as well as her past...her dark past.

TITLE: MIDNIGHT


PART ONE: CONFESSION


As darkness invaded the twilight sky; I was driving nervously to my boyfriend's house. I continued driving along the narrow road, a curtain of billowy mist obstructing my view. Though everyone says I'm an excellent driver, I was practically driving on the fast side, eager to get to Aidan's house.
Aidan Cunning is my boyfriend's name. Personally I adore his name. Aidan has always been my favorite boy name.
I'd have to say, my boyfriend is the most gorgeous guy I've ever seen. His hair is as brown as chocolate. His flesh is as white as a snowstorm. Beautiful bronze lashes framed his black eyes. His voice always makes my heart melt, the way his tone sounds like velvet.
During the summer, we saw each other all the time. The more we hung out together, the more I find myself falling in love with Aidan. I haven't confessed to him yet, but that's what's on my agenda tonight.
Fog continued hindering my view, like a ghost, but I managed to see the road clearly. I find myself in the middle of nowhere, with trees aligned on both sides of the road. The way everything looks so daunting, feels like I'm on my way to visit a haunted house rather than my boyfriend's house.
Abruptly, I saw the road divide into two sections, one part heading towards the right, the other going towards the opposite direction. I stopped the car in between the divided roads. Which one? Which one? I repeatedly went over in my head. I’ve taken one of these roads a million times, but because my mind was so jammed with anxiety that I couldn’t remember the road to select. Choosing which one to take, it's like deciding between which two movies to watch; only this is more complex, deciding the accurate road. Following my instincts, I selected the left side road, praying, hoping this is the right one.
The road I selected is the right one after all. I finally made it to Aidan's house. As I cut the engine, setting my keys into my purse, I gazed at his house, remembering the last time I was here. I couldn't help but smile, but suddenly my smile faded like colors in a painting fading away from the sunlight. For the first time ever, I noticed that every single window had the curtains closed. Now that's strange, I thought, Why is all the curtains closed like this? I know it's dark outside and everyone closes their curtains during night, but the way I noticed his curtains closed the first time, the house look liked it belonged to an axe murderer, the home you would find in horror films. The image of the house's scenery appeared demoralizing against the ghostly mist combined with darkness.

I got out of my car, ignoring the curtain incident. I began approaching his front door. When I reached the porch, before having the opportunity to ring the doorbell, the door opened up, like it's automatic. When the door slowly swung completely open, I saw Aidan lingering against the doorway, smiling my favorite dreamy smile. I smiled back at him.

"Hi, Aida," his velvet tone spoke, sounding musical, like he's singing rather than talking. By the way, my real name is Adelaide, but as a nickname, he likes to call me Aida.

"Hello, Aidan," I replied, wincing at the sound of my voice. How can I compare my voice to his musical voice?

Gracefully, as we approached closer, we kissed passionately. We held each other as we kissed, my heart pounding like a tom-tom from anticipation.Then Aidan invited me inside his shadowy house. I'd have to say, no room in this house is cheery, every room has a dark color. It's as if I'd stepped out from the beautiful world and found myself inside a dark place.

"Hey, Aidan, there's something I need to tell you," I spoke, reluctance behind my tone.

"What is it, Aida?" he asked, a little concerned.

He suddenly lifted me up, myself laughing from enjoyment, and he carried me towards his delicate sofa. I love the way he carries me like that. As we both sat on his couch, I could sense apprehension in my stomach, feeling like static, and my hands trembled. I open my mouth to reveal my confession, but nothing came out. My words remained unspoken, like they prefer to be in secrecy rather than heard. I didn't realize I sat very frozen, as still as an oil painting, deep in thought.

"Aida, you feel okay?" Aidan asked soothingly.

He wrapped his comforting arms around me, causing me to sigh dramatically. I wrapped my arms around him, taking deep breaths, calming myself.

"I'm fine, Aidan, just nervous," I admitted. "I mean, this is not going to be an easy thing for me to say, but..." I hesitated.

I suddenly find myself gleaming with sweat, little beads of sweat pouring from my face, like raindrops. My face grew a crimson shade. I shouldn't be like this, I mean, he's always easy to talk to, but when it comes to confessions, it makes everything difficult, my words glued inside my throat.

"Is it important what you're about to tell me?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Tell me, Aida."

Taking another deep breath, I managed the words out reluctantly, "Like I said, this is not easy for me, but...here's the thing...Aidan, I...I love you!"


PART TWO: DISTURBIA


"You...You what?" he said in shock.

Instead of answering, I lifted his head up to make eye contact with him, his eyes warm with black liquid. I gently kissed him and he kissed me back. Then, still on the sofa, he lay down, bringing me on top of him, and continued kissing fiercely.

"It's true, Aidan, I do love you," I whispered dreamily.

"I love you too, Aida," he whispered back. "I'm sorry about my response earlier, but your confession took me by surprise, that's all. I wasn’t expecting you to say something like that at all."

"S'okay," I comforted him.

Our kiss is so dreamlike, separating us from reality. We were totally wrapped up in our kiss I'd forget to breathe. Then gently, Aidan pulled me off him and hoisted himself into a sitting position. He gazed deeply in my eyes, smiling warmly.

"There's something you need to know," he spoke, breathless from our fiercely kiss.

"What is it?" I asked, my tone anxious, edging closer to him, brushing my arm against his. To my astonishment, his flesh felt like it was put inside a pool of ice, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, during winter.

I couldn't help but shriek out loud, "Why is your flesh so cold?"

"Nothing you need to be concerned about," was his velvety response, and then tenderly this time rather than fiercely, he kissed me again.

But I was concerned. I mean, considering we've been together for so long, this is the first time his skin appeared cold! It's so hot in his house, though. How is this possible? That’s when it dawned on me. His skin is always cold, but the funny thing is, why I cannot recall why it’s so cold.
He opened his eyes after kissing me. For the first time, his eyes appeared sinister rather than their usual serene look. Surprisingly, the color of his eyes didn't have its black color to them, instead they were gold, and his eyes glazed with sinister.

"Aidan, did you get contacts?" I asked.

"No. Why?" he replied.

"Your eyes...They're a different color," I practically whispered.

"They've always been that color," he said, but deep down, I knew that was a lie. I've seen his eyes many times before. Then he changed the subject, "Baby, there's something you need to know.""I have to tell you something else as well," I admitted.

"I'll go first," he offered. "Here's the thing, about six months ago----" He suddenly paused, cocking his head to one side, as if he heard something.

“I need just a minute, Aida,” he told me. Then he left the house as fast as lightning, running out towards the porch, in deep thought.

I became mystified. What is going on with Aidan tonight? What has happened to the guy I've been dating for so long? What happened to his calming eyes? Where has his black eyes gone, being replaced by these gold stranger eyes? Why was his curtains closed the first time? Why did he suddenly leave his house without a word of explanation? How did he manage to get to the front door as rapid as a blink of an eye? The most bizarre of them all, why is his skin cold? These questions swam in my mind, unanswered.
As I sat here, considering all this, I decided to figure out his strange appearance and the way he left the house like that. It's going to be fairly easy; all I have to do is browse around his house, seeking for answers.
I rose up and began my search for clues, anything to reveal what he's concealing from me. I fumbled around the wall for a light switch, and when I did felt one, the lights didn't flash on, for some peculiar reason. I was in an ocean of disturbing shadows, casting underworld shadows upon the walls. I found myself in the kitchen. So far, I haven't found any clues yet. All I saw was typical things you would find in a kitchen. The dead silence sent chills racing up and down my spine. The only sounds were my footsteps and my breathing. I keep thinking a stalker is behind me, not going to lie, this house looks haunted against the night. Without thinking, I dashed out of the kitchen and raced up the stairs.
I saw faded pictures on the walls, their eyes felt like they're watching me, like those photos of people in castles.
I ran into a random room, and because the way it appeared dark, I extended my arms out to prevent from crashing into something. I was touching something endlessly flat, and realized it was the wall. I rounded the wall's corner, and looked out the window, hearing a wolf howl from the distance. My eyes fell upon the ominous moon, casting a lunar eclipse, creating a crimson color. It's as if the moon is made of solid blood. I have to admit, this is the creepiest night I'd had with Aidan.
A fountain of translucent glow shone through the window, and when the moon's glow showered in the room, to my dismay, I was in Aidan's bedroom. His old-fashioned canopy bed came into view, along with his nightstand right beside the bed. Then I saw a picture of myself on the nightstand. In the picture, I happen to be inside a hospital bed strangely. That's funny. I don't recall being inside a hospital, I thought. Abruptly, a film of blurry images flashed in my mind, revealing flashbacks of my dreadful accident that occurred six months ago.
It all started when I was horseback riding one weekend. My horse was dashing towards this fence and when the horse jumped in mid-air, I fell off my horse right in mid-air! I had to be sent to the hospital for a while, and according to the doctors, I suffered from amnesia. I couldn't remember everything that's happened, not even my accident, although the right side of my brain still had its memories of my moments with Aidan and last weekend. The left side of my brain was the badly damaged side, leaving the rest of the information my mind contained erased.
As my amnesia is progressing, my other memories came back to me slowly. I sat upon Aidan's bed, still focusing why he appeared differently tonight. I really have to consider deep.Out of the blue, that's when everything flashed in my mind. That’s what Aidan was going to tell me before he left the house! Now I could remember everything Aidan has told me about his dark past and true identity! That's why he appeared different tonight! Come to think of it, he always looked like that every time I see him, but because of my amnesia in the past, I couldn't see that at all.

"Aida, what are you doing up here?" a velvet voice startled me, realizing its Aidan.

"No reason," I lied. “Hey, listen, Aidan, why did you leave the house like that?”

Lingering in the doorway, I saw he glared at me with cold eyes. Reaching towards his bed, sitting next to me, he wrapped his arm around my waist.

"You forgot I have the ability to foreshadow the future, did you?" he brought up.

"What?" I demanded, not sure I heard correctly. "I know what you're thinking, but instead, I'm going to let you speak your mind."

"Alright, you caught me, Aidan. You remember when I suffered from amnesia and part of my memory was totally gone? Well, I can remember everything now. I remember who you truly are, your identity..."

Instead of letting me finish, I saw that dark thirsty look flaring in his eyes and suddenly, but carefully, he tucked my hair behind my ear, and reached for my neck. From the corner of my eye, he slowly lowered his mouth towards my throat, revealing his white fangs.


EPILOGUE: THE CARRYING VAMPIRE


Three days later, deep inside, I sensed this craving for blood sensation. My human face lost its features, now being replaced with an angel’s face.

“Aida, what you were going to tell me?” Aidan brought up.

Flashing bewildered eyes, I asked curiously, “What do you mean, Aidan?”

“Well, remember when you told me you have something else to say that one night?”

“Yeah…”

“What were you going to tell me?”

Taking a deep breath, after kissing his lips softly, I said, “I’m pregnant.”




THE END

No comments: